Sharp Side Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sharp Side Sports Discussion Forum

HomeHome  HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Similar topics
MLB Package

Tony C owns MLB. After accumulating over 100 Units for his clients last year, Tony C is ready to do it again. Be part of another Historical Season today.

Click Here for Tony C's MLB Package!
Latest topics
» LOOKS LIKE MARTINSVILLE WILL HAVE TO WAIT
I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeby AlacratStore Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:37 am

» Follow Tony C on Twitter
I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeby Tony C Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:14 am

» Some Info on Tony C
I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeby Tony C Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:13 am

» NFLX Thursday Plays
I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeby Tony C Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:39 pm

» Tuesday One Big Free Total
I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeby Admin Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 pm

» Monday Twitter Winner
I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeby Tony C Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:05 pm

» Sunday Winner as Easy as it Gets
I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeby Tony C Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:28 pm

» Sunday Total
I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeby Tony C Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:11 pm

» Saturday Total
I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeby Tony C Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:59 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

I love the Move Back to the Spoiler

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tony C

Tony C

I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Empty
PostSubject: I love the Move Back to the Spoiler   I love the Move Back to the Spoiler Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 5:02 pm

NASCAR confirms spoiler will return at Martinsville
By Joe Menzer, NASCAR.COM
March 17, 2010
05:03 PM EDT
Save Article Email Article Print Article RSS
type size: + -

CONCORD, N.C. -- Robin Pemberton, vice president of competition for NASCAR, confirmed for certain Wednesday what many already had assumed.

Regardless of what transpires during a two-day test at Charlotte Motor Speedway next week, the Sprint Cup Series will debut cars with the new spoiler in place at Martinsville Speedway on March 28. That means this Sunday's Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway will mark an abrupt end to the wings that have adorned cars on a part-time basis since 2007 and on a full-time basis since 2008.
Autostock
Spoiler test

* Focus on Charlotte
* Reduction in size
* Photo Gallery

Pemberton admitted the change was made in large part simply because many folks did not like the look of the wing, but also because the spoiler hopefully will make what he called "good racing" even better.

"I think the racing is pretty good," Pemberton said. "I think it's an opportunity to change things up a little bit -- and quite frankly, the wing wasn't accepted as universally as we had hoped it would be by competitors and the fans alike. So after much effort, we started looking and decided to go back to the spoiler."

Appearing at the same Charlotte Motor Speedway news conference as Pemberton -- ostensibly to drum up interest in the May 22 Sprint Cup All-Star Race -- Martin Truex Jr. said he welcomes the change from wing to spoiler on the No. 56 Toyota he drives for Michael Waltrip Racing.

"My first reaction was that it looks better," Truex said. "Every car I ever ran in my entire life except for the last three years had a spoiler on it, so I'm a little more comfortable with it."

Truex's team was among those participating during a spoiler test at Talladega Superspeedway on Tuesday. He said while speeds were a concern, most drivers were in agreement that the spoiler did not cause any dramatic handling differences at that 2.66-mile track.

"I was happy with it. Obviously, Talladega is not a great judge for us, because you go out there and pretty much run wide-open. You're at the mercy of the engine and the draft, and that's pretty much all it is," said Truex, who admitted "the fastest he saw" was 208 mph and that he, too, heard of others who supposedly went 212 mph or more. "As far as the package we used there, that's the only place we'll use it and we'll have to work on other race tracks to figure out what we're going to use on them."
Autostock

Every car I ever ran in my entire life except for the last three years had a spoiler on it, so I'm a little more comfortable with it.

-- MARTIN TRUEX JR.

That's where the test at Charlotte next Tuesday and Wednesday comes in.

"The test next week here at Charlotte is going to be a great one for all of us," Truex said. "There is a lot to be learned about the setup of the cars, what the spoiler likes vs. the wing and how it drives different. As drivers, we're going to have to figure that out -- and the teams are going to have to figure out how to get the cars better to work with the spoiler as opposed to the wing. I think it will be quite a bit different."

Pemberton said it is an important test, noting that many teams already have tested with the spoiler at non-NASCAR sanctioned facilities of all other types and should be ready to use it for real come Martinsville. He added that he expects the biggest difference will be that it may enable cars to maneuver around each other more freely and more frequently.

The Charlotte test likely will put that theory to, well, the test.

"It's been some time since we've had a test of this magnitude at any race track, and I think the teams will be working hard to find the setup that will work with respects to the spoiler," Pemberton said. "Many of the teams already have a month under their belts; they've tested it at various places around the country. They've got some experience and they're not coming in totally blind, and I think you're going to see what we've got in front of us for the rest of the year in regards to the spoilers."
Back to top Go down

I love the Move Back to the Spoiler
Page 1 of 1